ICANN Resolutions » 2004-09-30 - AFRINIC Provisional Approval
Important note: The Board Resolutions are as reported in the Board Meeting Transcripts, Minutes & Resolutions portion of ICANN's website. Only the words contained in the Resolutions themselves represent the official acts of the Board. The explanatory text provided through this database (including the summary, implementation actions, identification of related resolutions, and additional information) is an interpretation or an explanation that has no official authority and does not represent the purpose behind the Board actions, nor does any explanations or interpretations modify or override the Resolutions themselves. Resolutions can only be modified through further act of the ICANN Board.
2004-09-30 - AFRINIC Provisional Approval
Board grants provisional approval of AFRINIC's application and transition plan.
- Submit final application for recognition.
- Responsible entity: AFRINIC
- Due date: None specified
- Completion date: March 2005
- Assist in smooth transition and preparation of revised application.
- Responsible entity: President
- Due date: None specified
- Completion date: 6 April 2005
Whereas ICANN has previously adopted a set of procedures and standards for the receipt and evaluation of applications for recognition as a regional Internet registry (RIR), as authorized by the Board in resolution 01.68;
Whereas an application for recognition, together with a detailed transition plan – including draft bylaws, policies, funding model, and staff resumes – have been submitted to ICANN by the ARRINIC organization;
Whereas the President has conducted a preliminary evaluation and concluded that the application and transition plan constitute a reasonable basis for eventual recognition, while noting that some adjustments might be necessary;
Resolved [04.82] that the Board gives its provisional approval to the AFRINIC application for recognition and transition plan, with the expectation that the transition plan will be completed and an amended or revised application for recognition will be submitted; and
Resolved [04.83] that the President is directed to continue working closely with AFRINIC, ARIN, RIPE, and APNIC, through the NRO, to assist in a smooth transition and the preparation of a revised application for full recognition of AFRINIC in conformance with the criteria set forth in ICP-2 and the then current version of the ASO Memorandum of Understanding.
- The resoultion does not address funding for the items specified therein.
- Adopted criteria for establishment of new internet registries, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/icp/icp-2.htm
- AFRINIC's updated, final application, available at: http://www.icann.org/en/rirs/afapp-icann20050305.pdf
- IANA Report on AFRINIC's application, available at: http://www.iana.org/reports/2005/afrinic-report-05aug2005.pdf