ICANN Resolutions » 1998-11-21 - Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Commerce
Important note: The Board Resolutions are as reported in the Board Meeting Transcripts, Minutes & Resolutions portion of ICANN's website. Only the words contained in the Resolutions themselves represent the official acts of the Board. The explanatory text provided through this database (including the summary, implementation actions, identification of related resolutions, and additional information) is an interpretation or an explanation that has no official authority and does not represent the purpose behind the Board actions, nor does any explanations or interpretations modify or override the Resolutions themselves. Resolutions can only be modified through further act of the ICANN Board.
1998-11-21 - Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Commerce
Authorized Michael Roberts and Esther Dyson to negotiate a Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Commerce.
- Negotiate, execute and deliver an MOU with Dept. of Commerce
- Responsible entity: ICANN CEO and Board Chair
- Due date: None provided
- Completion date: 25 November 1998
RESOLVED [resolution 98.26], that Michael Roberts and Esther Dyson be, and each of them hereby is, directed and authorized to negotiate, either directly or through the Corporation's legal counsel, a Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Commerce.
FURTHER RESOLVED [resolution 98.27], that Michael Roberts and Esther Dyson be, and each of them hereby is, authorized to approve the form of such a Memorandum of Understanding.
FURTHER RESOLVED [resolution 98.28], that Michael Roberts and Esther Dyson and Joe Sims (in his capacity as attorney for the Corporation) be, and each of them hereby is, authorized to execute and deliver the final Memorandum of Understanding on behalf of the Corporation.
FURTHER RESOLVED [resolution 98.29], that the officers of the Corporation are hereby authorized to take such actions, and to execute and deliver such documents, as they deem appropriate or convenient to further the intent of the foregoing resolutions.
- The 25 November 1998 Memorandum of Understanding, also referred to as the Joint Project Agreement, is available at Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) Between ICANN and U.S. Department of Commerce. The subsequent amendments to the MoU as well as all status reports issued thereunder, is available at http://www.icann.org/en/general/agreements.htm.
- ICANN and the Department of Commerce, on 30 September 2009, entered into an Affirmation of Commitments, available at http://www.icann.org/en/documents/affirmation-of-commitments-30sep09-en.htm, recognizing the conclusion of the Joint Project Agreement.
- No additional funding provided.